Saturday 10 November 2012

Issue #5

This week's unfortunately not been quite as productive as others, time for some self-inflicted arse-kicking!

But it's been interesting; I recently went to Des' print workshop which, being very interested in pursuing print next year, I found highly interesting. The next day I went down to the print rooms and began experimenting with mono-printing. This I found highly enjoyable as before coming to LSAD I had only made lino-prints, and with the water-based inks of school.

To start off with, I made a couple of mono-prints using the method of just marking the paper over the acetate, leaving the mirrored ink image on the other side;




Obviously, being the first mono-prints I've ever attempted, these didn't exactly come out as masterpieces, but it was an enjoyable, interesting experiment in the practise.

After this, because I had momentarily forgotten how to make proper mono-prints, I made a couple in which I, like with the proper method, removed the ink on the acetate in whatever design I chose. I then simply laid a piece of paper onto the acetate and used a roller to print it.




Though the image each time came out slightly indistinct depending on what kind of line I had marked, I really like how these look. I think the marks of the roller provide an interesting background pattern, almost giving the images a bit of a cubist feel. 

Thankfully Des then entered the room with another group doing a workshop so we were quickly reminded how to properly make a mono-print. I made another fairly simple face image just as a way of toe-dipping the whole Proper Mono-Print thing.

 



I quite liked how these came out, especially the coloured one; I love how much better these oil-based inks look compared to water-based ones!

These basic starting off prints have really taught me a lot about mono-printing, and I think once I start making these kinds of prints with a bit more thought and care into them I should get some better results.










No comments:

Post a Comment